Monday, December 31, 2007

Well, I was going to think of a creative title for this, but I wont: Year 2007 in Review

Well, another year has passed, so quickly by us. Amazing. So many things in 2007. So many milestones. Events. Moments. Memories.

In this year, I have grown academically. From getting a B in January, to learning all about the human condition and philosophy in Humanities and AP European History. From getting a passion in thermodynamics, acid-base musings, and other chemistry stuff, to taking my first AP, SAT II, and SAT I tests. It was a year of growing. It was a year of setbacks. It was a year of overcoming what was deemed "impossible". Perhaps, more than anything this year, the theme is "learning". Not just about the Bronstead Lowry definition of acid/base, or just how to take the second derivative, but basically, learning that it CAN be done. How I survived the gruesome AP Calc exam FRQs, and mock exam MC. How I, after basically knowing nothing after my AP Chem teacher's lectures, turned out an A on the midterm. How I muddled through the reaction quizzes and somehow got a satisfactory score. How I did an AP Physics problem the wrong way, and then after checking, realized that it was wrong, and subsequently did it the right way. How, even though things seemed impossible, it was done. How I got 5's. Finishing the almost 1000-page Western Civilizations book for AP Euro. How, even with only 1 week left to spare till SAT II's, I studied mad and ended up with two scores above 750. How, even with 2 weeks 3 weeks left to spare till SAT I's, I studied mad and ended up with a score above 2100. But alas, heartbreak. Didn't reach my goal of 2200. Didn't reach my goal of the A. Faltering on the sophomore thesis paper.

But just as it was growth and learning academically, it was also social growth. I have always been an introvert. This year though was a year of growth and learning, as I broke out of my isolationist bubble. I signed up on the College Confidential forums in preparation for the AP exam, and immediately was exposed to the nation of high-achieving, Harvard bound kids. So, I get panicky about college apps since then. Learning how to interact. Watching movies with friends right before school starts - for only the second time (note: group, not individual friends). Watching, with horror, as someone I knew well was arrested. Watching, my crush, nonstop during AP Bio. Talking, to people about it. Going up to her, and asking if she needed help, only to be disappointed by a resounding "no". Looking, for her dreamy eyes, glistening smile, unmistakable figure. Listening, as someone told me she thought "I was weird". Crushed. And I learned, I should've done something different. Perhaps not follow her wherever she went, or perhaps not screamed and laughed like crazy when she was around and I was talking to classmates. Another breakthrough: opening up Gmail, and my friend begins chatting with me. Beginning an era. Doing something, that I had not done before, and feeling, good about it. For once I was "in". But learning, the folly of nonmoderation. Then being introduced to Facebook right before Thanksgiving break. But again learning, the folly of nonmoderation.

Finally, where would anyone be without hobbies? Spent a good amount of time in August reworking my website (not ready for public view yet, lol). Learning. CSS and Javascript, although only the bare minimums. Getting a new account of 50Webs and starting from there. Learning how to work a timelapse, and literally, work. Learned A LOT about photography, though I'm still not that good. After my old spot closed off around Christmas, finding a new site. (the first photography experience there was not until 1/1/08, though). And, rejoining Orchestra. Even though it was a year of firsts, it was also a year of seconds. Another trip to Disneyland with fellow stringists (is that even a word?).

Weatherwise, it was also a year of big events. Drought was a big theme in the South and West. Tornado was a big theme in the wiped out town of Greensburg, KS (hit on May 4), and in the heavily damaged town Enterprise, AL (hit on Mar 1). Tropical cyclones were the theme internationally. Sidr, killing ~5,000 people in October; Felix, killing ~100 in Nicaragua, being examples. Two Atlantic category 5 hurricanes making landfall at that top rating, Dean and Felix. The year of polar extremes. The warmest January in some time in the East, followed by the coldest winter in decades, in the South... Hemisphere. Although the flip to super cold in February, along with the Valentine's Day Blizzard, won't soon be forgotten. Historic flooding the the Mexican province of Tabasco in late Oct/early Nov.

As it was a year of firsts for myself, so it was a year of firsts for my school. As racial tensions stirred in Jena, AR, two racial incidents also occurred in my school. A person, dressing up similarly to a Ku Klux Klan member on Halloween (though certainly not intended). More ominously, a swastika painted in fecal matter one December morning. Gun threats. Bomb threats, following the Virginia Tech Massacre. The lines to get into restrooms. But on a better side, a record number of Class of '07ers to get into UC's. A record number of students taking AP Calculus. A new APEL class. Well, enough of firsts. How about seconds? Or, let's take a larger number. Yet ANOTHER first place finish from our school newspaper, The Nexus.

Personal "Milestones" (and setbacks) [i.e. list of firsts] This is NOT in chronological order, lol. Rather, in the order which I recollect them.
-First time chatting with people online (started on Gmail). Chat logs say September 4, while working on an AP Physics lab. Proceeded to get an AIM SN and chatting there, in December.
-Got a Facebook, November 16.
-Took SAT first time, December 1. Got a 2160, unfortunately, and plan on retaking it in '08.
-Actually started talking about girls while chatting. I had always kept crushes to myself. September 20. Ack. Not the best decision, lol.
-Tried out my new website format on 50Webs in August. Learned a little Javascript and CSS to make it happen. (Not a lot though, will be working on that.)
-Started actually doing extracurricular activities at school! Tutor for AP Educational Services (APES), and volunteer through Interact Club.
-Started panicking about college after discovering the hoards of amazing people with amazing stats at College Confidential forums. Found the forums in May as I was googling forums to study for AP tests.
-Rejoined school orchestra (not a first, but hey).
-Started reading Bible. Should've done this earlier. Some fellow Christians at school gave me a good prep talk after I got obsessed over a girl and stuff.
-Took my first AP exams in May. Calc: insanely hard FRQ's, insanely easy MC. Euro: nothing interesting, was easy. Chem: easy, but oh my gosh! SUPER SUPER Cold. I'll always remember that cloudy morning we took the AP Chem test, they had the air conditioning in the gym full blast, brrrrrr. After AP exams played cards with friends XD.
-First time evacuating. October 2007 Fires. See below.
-Started archiving hemispheric WV/IR imagery and 500mb height contours/anomalies.
-Started doing Timelapse photography. Failed, but worth the attempts.
-Foreign exchange student moved in to live with us. Helped her on her first day through the Freshman orientation. Was, interesting.
-Getting a B in Honors Humanities second quarter of 07-08. Boy, that was devastating. Had to take a deep introspection afterwards about what school was about and stuff.

No comments: